We provide free tutoring services by trained volunteers to adults in need of basic literacy education (reading and writing),
HSE (GED) preparation, math and ESL in the
Bergen County New Jersey area.
2016 Holiday Party
Come join us for some food, conversation and door prizes to mark the end of this year and the beginning of the new.
We would love to see you!
Please drop by on Thursday, December 15, from 5:00pm to 7:00pm.
Room 103 at the Ciarco Learning Center at Bergen Community College in Hackensack
R.S.V.P. by Dec. 8 to
Parents should be able to read to their children...
Workers can't fill out job applications if they're unable to read...
Immigrants get left behind because they can't speak English...
Illiteracy affects us all in terms of higher unemployment, poverty and crime.
From the Bergen Record 6/6/2016:
marko georgiev / bergen record staff photographer
Adult literacy tutors are always in demand
"It's scary," says Christopher C. Stout, executive director of Project Literacy. "Statistics say that one in 10 drivers can't read the road signs."
|| Did you know that 1 in 4 American adults volunteers in their community? And together, American volunteers donate nearly 7.9 billion hours of service annually?
According to the Independent Sector, the latest national value of volunteer time is $25.68 per hour.
Using our current number of students and tutors along with our expenses for the last fiscal year, Project Literacy has calculated the value of our adult education volunteer work in the Greater Bergen County, New Jersey area is
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!
Facts You May Not Have Known About Literacy
- 44 million people in the United States cannot read well enough to fill out a job application, read a food label, read a simple story to their child or fill out a bank deposit slip properly
- One of out every ten drivers you meet on the highway cannot read the road signs
- For every dollar that is spent on adult illiteracy, society reaps $7.14 in return either through increased revenues or decreased expenditures such as health care or job training
- The United States is only 49th out of 156 ranked countries when it comes to literacy
- Literacy problems cost businesses approximately $225 billion a year in lost productivity
- More than 150,000 people in Bergen County alone cannot read beyond the fourth grade level. More than 93 million adults in the US have limited reading skills
See Literacy Facts
...help an adult learn to read
...promote literacy in Bergen County
...for yourself, a family member or friend
English Language Facts
The word 'grammar' entered medieval English as 'gramarye,' via Scotland. The Scots got it from the French word, 'grimoire,' which meant a collection of magic spells.
Malaria was so named because it was associated with the vapours rising from swamps ("mala" means bad and "aria" means air).